Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Danger Zone

A few months ago, Target placed a Dollar Section near the entrance of the store.

The Dollar Section will be my financial downfall.

I went to Super Target tonight, as I was in need of groceries and a microwave, and I only wanted to make one stop. The microwave is quite nice, and is now sitting on my kitchen counter.

Of course, the first thing I did was walk through the Dollar Section with the intent of browsing.

Ten minutes later, the following items were in my cart:

- 4 martini glasses
- 4 of the old-style Coke glasses
- 1 set of 4 glass coasters
- 1 "Mozart and Martinis" CD
- 1 plastic basket

For those of you not keeping score at home, that's $11 worth of crap acquired in ten minutes.

My total bill tonight? $202. TWO HUNDRED AND TWO DOLLARS.

And the microwave, unfortunately, only accounts for $60 of that. What did I buy, you might ask? Everything.

The problem with moving is that you have to purchase the annoying, rather expensive items when you arrive at your new home. For me, that meant I was out of toilet paper ($7), Kleenex ($5), a razor (Don't ask--$7), soap ($5 for the giant liquid soap container), chicken ($10), contact solution ($6), and shaving gel ($3).

In all, that's another $43.

That means I only spent about $100 on food, which isn't bad. A large portion of that was to restock my pantry and freezer with items that won't go bad anytime soon--mac & cheese, soup, frozen pizza, frozen veggies (mmm, lima beans and green beans), stir fry, etc.

But between the Target run tonight and the fact that I have to pay my rent tomorrow, my nice, healthy $1200 bank account will now dwindle to... $660... then take out another $30 I spent on towels... $630... and another $100 spent on a birthday/christmas present for someone and a new down comforter for me... $530... $15 for gas... $515... then there are credit card bills to pay.

I need that $500 AMEX gift card now, please.

At least I get paid again on the 16th or so. And I should be getting my last paycheck from UT sometime soon.

Welcome to reality.

Well I've been working five days, full time
Ain't got no money
Everything is goin' fine.

3 Comments:

At 10:44 PM, Blogger K said...

I just realized that I got $20 in cash, so I really only spent $82 on food.

That makes me feel better.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Tom said...

why shouldn't we ask about the razor?
and lima beans? really?
-Tom

ps why is it I'm the only one commenting here? maybe you don't have many friends...

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger K said...

Yeah. I love lima beans. I also love spinach and cauliflower.

I'm odd.

And you're the only one commenting because you're probably the only one reading it so far. I just put a link in my AIM profile late last night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home