Thursday, January 06, 2005

I don't like this at all.

I nearly hit a curb on my way to work today. My car skidded on a patch of ice.

Yes folks, a patch of ice. In Texas. In early January. This is absurd.

The wind chill right now is 11. ELEVEN. The actual temperature is 24.

I live in Texas. Therefore, I should not be subjected to such harsh conditions. Yes, I know that there are people in North Dakota who are dealing with wind chills of -50 and their cars not starting, but my God--I'm so much better equipped to deal with ridiculous amounts of heat than ridiculous amounts of cold.

To top that off, I'm sick. Of course, it's kind of nice to have it be freezing cold out when you're sick. When you have a nasty cold in the summer, ever notice how absurd it is for you to be inside under ten blankets, going through kleenex boxes at the rate of one an hour? It's much more acceptable to be sick when it's cold out.

But then, I'm sick and I'm at work, so it's not like I really get to enjoy the whole buried under ten blankets watching a movie and eating soup thing. Instead, I get to sit in my chair at my computer, breathing through my mouth (because my nose is stopped up), and feeling as though my eyes are swollen partially shut.

I want to go home.

I would have called in sick, but I'm at the helm of a big project that needs to be done by today. Granted, the majority of the it is finished and it just needs a little tweaking. If my boss would get here, we could finish the tweaks, and then I could look into going home early.

I have such a great "I got to go home early" afternoon planned, too. It starts with a hot shower. After that, I've scheduled a nice long nap and movie watching session. I'll probably eat some soup somewhere in there--yay for comfort food. After that, I'll wake up around 6 feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the tedious task of unpacking my apartment.

So, let's get this show on the road.

I'm feeling pretty good, and that's the truth
It's neither drink nor drug induced
No, I'm just doin' alright

1 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Blogger Tom said...

I reiterate, it's *supposed* to be cold in January. Suck it up.

writing to you from warm sunny New England (temp 31 degrees, today's snowfall 4 inches)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home