Friday, May 13, 2005

It must be Thursday--I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Just call me Arthur Dent.

Tom does, at any rate.

Thursday is once again off of the schedule for next week. You give a day a chance to redeem itself, and it sends you right back down the shitter.

Whatever, Friday was awesome. Friday is the new Thursday.

I'm getting an intern (I think)! Woohoo! This was completely impromptu and unexpected. My team was at lunch today, and I happened to mention that I knew someone who had interviewed for an internship in another department. My head honcho supervisor said "Do you think we could use an intern?" to the group, and we all nodded emphatically. She said she would check with HR about getting one for the summer. Woohoo! An intern! Fewer reps to call! Fewer media kits to file! Less general shit work to do! Someone else can be responsible for printing and copying status for a few months!

I love it. LOVE. IT.

Don't get me wrong--calling reps and filing media kits and copying status (OK, maybe not that last one) have been good for me. I'm much more comfortable on the phone now than I was before. I know what to ask for when I request a rate card. I'm learning about publications and newspapers and all that fun stuff. Media kits are good to know about, so that when I'm sifting through 75 of them in my desk drawers, I remember that Fortune's is a dark blue while Forbes is gray.

You know, that kind of important stuff.

But the thing is that as I've grown more comfortable with those kinds of tasks, my workload of higher level tasks has grown considerably, and it's oftentimes difficult to finish the higher level tasks when I have to stop to do something like field calls from 10 reps that I left voicemails with in the morning. So, it'll be nice to have someone who I can divvy up the workload with, or have help me when I have more complicated projects to work on.

I'm considering renaming myself "Newspaper Maven". Seriously folks--I know more about newspapers and rates and ad sizes and terminology than I ever wanted to. If you name a city, I can most likely name the major daily off the top of my head. If you say a paper name, I can tell you what state it is located in--if not the specific city. I can tell you if a paper has zoned editions available. It's a little bit ridiculous. It wasn't intentional on anyone's part--it's just the way that the projects have fallen out lately. Oh well!

I should probably work on replacing all of the burnt out lightbulbs in my apartment tomorrow. I could call maintenance and have them do it, but considering that I've called 3 times to have my thermostat looked at and it still hasn't happened, I'm going to just do that myself.

I think I,
I could use a little break
But today was a good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home