Friday, December 09, 2005

I may hate winter...

but it's certainly difficult to be too down about it after the day I had on Wednesday. We're not touching Thursday, for the record.

I had to drag my ass out of bed early, as the ice storm hadn't arrived in Dallas quite yet. However, good thing #1 came in the form of my friend and co-worker (who happens to live in the building next to me) offering to drive both of us to work that day.

Any of you who have ever been in the car with me while there's traffic know that this is a blessing for myself, my heart, my blood pressure, and the likelihood of me getting off of the bus bound for hell.

So I got to work, puttered through an hour or two of meetings and excel spreadsheets, and suddenly it was time for lunch. The entire team was being taken to Via Real for (delicious) mexican food and a holiday lunch on the dime of one of the companies that we place advertising with (that much of society believes is an evil empire). I was expecting an hour, then back to the grindstone.

Instead, we got there and found out that we were in a private room. We walked into the private room and immediately gravitated towards the far corner... where there was a tub full of beer, bottles of wine, and pitchers of margarita (frozen and rocks).

Involving alcohol in advertising lunches guarantees several things: a) it will last for at least 2.5 hours, b) totally inappropriate topics for a business lunch will be discussed, and c) no one will want to do any work when they get back to the office.

Sure enough, we drank, ate queso, ate salsa, ate appetizers, drank more, ate real food, ate dessert, talked about the Texas vs. USC Rose Bowl, Rose Bowl tickets, sex, myspace, baby nurses, last year's Rose Bowl, college basketball, the possibility of Texas winning the national championship in 3 sports this year (football, basketball, baseball) and how cool that would be, the fact that Stanford's always the best athletic program because they have so damn many teams... you get the point.

Then we got back to the office at 2 to discover it was c-l-o-s-e-d due to inclement weather, and went home, where I proceeded to sit on my ass for three hours, then go to the Stars game, sit in $85 Platinum Level seats that I got for free, and drink more.

All in all, a quality Wednesday. Thank you, ice storm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home