Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Kelly Moon, B.S., M.A.

It has a nice ring to it, huh?

I never fancied myself an elitist academic snob, but my God, I cannot WAIT to use those last two letters when I feel the need to impress people. I think I'm as in love with the idea of completing post-graduate studies as I am with the career path I'll be taking at that point.

I'm even excited about my thesis, and I don't think I've ever looked forward to required writing in my LIFE.

And I'm also feeling entitled because they wanted ME. Me. Because, you see, I was technically not qualified for admission to the graduate school. They require a 3.0 GPA in upper-division coursework, as well as a UT-minimum of a 1000 on the GRE. Obviously, some programs require more than the 1000 minimum (the advertising program's average is an 1110), but as a whole, they need a 1000 so as to keep their stats up.

I had an 1160 on the GRE. No problem there.

However, I had a 2.78 upper-division GPA (don't ever take 18 hours, 15 of which are upper-division ad classes in one semester), thus meaning that if they hadn't actually wanted me, my recommendations from faculty/advisers, my statement of purpose, my resume, they could easily have rejected me as soon as they looked at my GPA.

And I'm aware that sounds completely egotistical, but I don't so much give a shit :)

So needless to say I'm odds and ends
But that's me, stumbling away
slowly learning that life is OK
Say after me
it's no better to be safe than sorry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home