Tuesday, March 15, 2005

If I had an extra ticket

If I had an extra ticket to the Rangers opening day VIP party, I'd invite you.

We'd spend two hours eating food, listening to a live band, and rubbing elbows with the movers and shakers (or at least the financially viable) members of Metroplex Society (gee, that's not an oxymoron...). Actually, we'd spend two hours gorging ourselves on free food and being mysterious, because the Society members would be wondering why on earth two college kids (let's face it--outside of work, no one would believe we were out of school) were crashing their party.

We'd people watch. I'd keep up a running (witty) commentary while you chose the subject of the next verbal assault. Of course, the commentary would be very quiet, so that only you and I could hear it and laugh. Everyone would wonder why we were laughing. Maybe after we finished eating, we'd throw away our plates and dance to the band. Maybe no one else would be dancing, but they already think we're odd anyway--why not continue with that view?

The party would end, and we'd make our way into the stadium, to the really good seats. Movers and shakers always sit in the good seats, lower level, behind home plate. We'd continue to laugh over the fact that someone thought that we belonged with this group, when in reality we had more in common with their sons and daughters still perfecting keg stands and hangover cures.
During the game, we'd talk. Because really, what else do you do at a baseball game? Yes, you watch the game, but it's also oddly a place for deep conversation without the uncomfortable factor. And you and I love to talk, so we'd never run out of things to say.

But if we did fall silent, it would be that comfortable kind of silent--like you could never speak again, but remain in that person's presence, and you'd be content forever. Eventually, the witty banter would pick up again. I'd make fun of your hat, you'd make fun of... well, something. You'd find something.

We'd eat nachos and hot dogs and drink beer, again raising the eyebrows of the movers and shakers who were certain we'd be busted any second for our fake IDs. We'd while away the afternoon under the warm April sun, sunglasses on our faces, flip flops on our feet, just enjoying life.

And that's why I'd invite you, if I had an extra ticket.

And the ironic part is that in the 15 minutes that have lapsed between when I wrote this entry and when I'm actually posting it, I do have an extra ticket.

If I had a million dollars (if I had a million dollars)
I'd build a tree fort in our yard
You could help, it wouldn't be that hard

3 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait, what? seriously? when's the opener. I'm there. (except for the dancing). you did mean me, right? of course you did, who else could you possibly mean? there couldn't possibly be anyone else in your life as remotely important as that guy you met online through a kid you went to high school with a year after graduating college whom you've never seen in person. yeah. def. me.

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BUT NOT A REAL GREEN DRESS, THAT'S CRUEL!

man the only version of that song worth listening to is the live one. Maybe a nice Chesterfield or an Ottoman.

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, and hey,

thanks for inviting me.

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home