Saturday, June 25, 2005

Itchy feet.

No, I haven't come down with a case of nasty foot fungus.

It has occured to me lately that I'm entering the phase of life where it is acceptable to settle down. Acquire a husband. A house. A dog, 2.5 kids, and a picket fence.

I don't want it.

It's not that I categorically don't want it--it's just that I don't see how any of those things can fit in with what I want out of my life. A husband, maybe, but it's going to be at least 5 years before I'm ready to start thinking about being a Mrs.

I want to live in so many places--Miami, New York, Chicago, California, Portland, Seattle, London. Maybe it means moving every two years, and eventually settling in one of those locations. Even then, that's the next 14 years of my life committed to hopping around the country (and to some extent, the world). I've always moved after a few years, even if it's within the same state. At this point, I've spent a combined 7 years in the DFW area, and I'm ready to move on.

I want to live in New York while I'm still young enough to really enjoy it--they say that planners in New York need to make enough money to cover their rent, clothing, and subway fare--events and sales reps will feed you, get you drunk, and give you tickets to events.

I want to live in Miami for the experience of working for a certain agency--I really don't have an attachment to the city, but the experience of working at this place is something I want.

I want to live in Chicago because I love the city. I love the atmosphere. If it weren't for the weather (I don't think I could take too many Chicago winters), I'd make that the place where I want to end up indefinitely.

I want to live in California when I can afford it and appreciate it. I don't think I want to live in LA proper--maybe another city in the area. Seattle and Portland would be places I'd enjoy in ten years.

London is something I'd want just for the experience. Maybe that would come as a result of working for a major agency that has an office in London.

I have so many plans, and I'll be so disappointed in myself if I don't go through with at least a few of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home