Sunday, December 18, 2005

Oh hell, here we go again.

Sometime between graduating from high school and present-day, the days leading up to and following Christmas became a drunkfest.

It all started at Christmas, 2002. Somehow, the entire high school crew wound up at Mavericks on S. Cooper on Christmas Night. And my God, they got smashed.

At the time, I was not yet 21, so I became the designated driver. The night is still the stuff of legend.

This was immediately after Francione was hired at aTm, and several of my high school friends are Aggies. Thus, the majority of the night was spent shooting Alabama Slammers in honor of the new coach. After a few hours of drinking, four of us wound up at IHOP (because where else do you go when the bar closes at 2 AM and you want pancakes?).

And a Christmas tradition was born. Now we meet up every Christmas night--at least two or three of us--and we drink and catch up and talk about love, life, and the pursuit of happiness.
Or we discuss who is screwing whom, what we got for Christmas, and what other points of interest have come up since we last saw each other.

As the years have gone by, other nights have been added, and I seem to spend the better part of a week going out and drinking with various groups of friends.

My last day of work this year will be Thursday. On Thursday night, a friend-of-a-friend gets back into Dallas after having moved out of state. This friend-of-a-friend has a tendancy to cause nights of extreme and utter chaos (see: champagne by the pool/Nick & Sam's Tuesday). Given that we have Friday off, I have little doubt that Thursday will produce really incriminating pictures and really painful hangovers that find us moaning between sips of water at brunch on Friday.

There's a Christmas party on Christmas Night, and then we'll move to the after party. Where the after party will be is TBD--either a friend's apartment or Sherlock's, but I am not DDing this year. It's someone else's turn.

I'm sure that Friday night will find us at Bennigan's in A-town, drinking beer and Irish Coffee and catching up on high school gossip. The fact that I am off of work until January 3rd (and the fact that I'm not moving from Austin to Dallas this year) means that the amounts of trouble I can get into this year know no bounds. Let's all hope I don't get arrested, and let's all forgive me in advance for the many drunk dials I am sure I will make.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home