Saturday, July 16, 2005

What a feeling

I'm starting to think that I've jumped ship on the growing up process.

On the objective, rational side of things, I'm not concerned. 23 isn't exactly old. 24 isn't either, for that matter. I don't feel the need to, so why should I?

On the emotional, stupid side of things, I feel pressured.

I don't want to be in a relationship right now. I don't want to have to figure out how to date someone, how to like someone, how to fit someone into my life. I'm sure that if a prospect appeared that motivated me to want to do these things, I'd have no problems--however, I'm certainly not seeking it out. One might say that I'm even avoiding it.

But when I hear one of my best friends telling me that she can't go to lunch on Saturday because she has to try on wedding dresses, one of my other friends talking about how she's met a guy that she'll even call for casual phone conversations every day, another friend discussing the new guy in her life that she really likes... another friend that is slowly moving towards getting to know a guy in the capacity of dating...

Don't leave me to be single alone, y'all.

I've dealt with friends before who find a boyfriend or girlfriend and do one of two things: 1) They disappear until the breakup occurs, or 2) They stick around, but they never go anywhere without the significant other (which is quite honestly even more annoying than if they just disappeared. I signed up to be friends with you. Your girlfriend sucks. I don't want to hang out with her every time I see you.).

It sucks, but generally the majority of my other friends are still single, and it's not an issue.

However, as we get older, people are (understandably) looking to find that person that they want to settle down with, register at Target with, fight over who cleans the bathroom with. And that means that at any given moment, my pool of single friends is likely going to be outnumbered by my pool of attached friends. This leaves me off in the lonely land of being the "single one of the group", which, in a word, sucks.

Of course, I should be thankful that we're not at the point where my attached friends will invite me to dinner and "Surprise! Michael, our friend who is also single, just happened to be free tonight!"

In other words, I don't want a relationship. I don't think, anyway. But at the same time, I don't want to be left on the dock completely alone while everyone else sails off into the sunset.

One of y'all is going to have to hang out with me to fish off of the pier for a while longer.

All I wanna do is rock this motherfucker all night long y'all
Nonstop til the crack of dawn y'all
Ass knockin til you can't go on

2 Comments:

At 7:40 PM, Blogger Susan said...

kelly, my love, friends are numero uno to me. you so overrule any guy that would come into my life.

-sus

ps. i think you have been watching too many episodes of sex and the city. :)

 
At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey now, I'm halfway through Season 2--so leave me be!

PS--I totally downed a bottle and a half of Pinot tonight with Jenn, so I *might* be mildly drunk.

MIGHT.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home