Thursday, March 17, 2005

Eye color identity crisis.

For 21 years and 4 months, I was under the apparently mistaken impression that my eyes were a golden color without much variation.

For a year, they were blue, but that didn't stick--much to the disappointment of my father, whose half-Japanese self was apparently in love with the idea of an Aryan child--cornsilk blonde hair and blue, blue eyes. The blue eyes faded (to what I THOUGHT was honey colored) at a year. Sorry, dad--think of it as a warm-up for future disappointments at my hands.

I've grown up saying "I have hazel eyes". I only called them hazel because they didn't the definition of brown, blue, green, grey, or violet. However, it has come to my attention in recent years that my eyes are not, in fact, honey colored at all.

They're green.

Case #1: July 2001. Location: Atlanta Bread Company. Persons: myself and my boss. Scenario: A random conversation when I was picking up my paycheck.

Boss: Has anyone ever told you that you have amazing eyes?
Me: Uh, no. They're just... light brown.
Boss: No, no--they've got a gorgeous green tint to them.
Me: Thanks. Cool.

Case #2: October 2004. Location: Union C-Store. Persons: myself, random male customer in my line. Scenario: I was ringing up his Red Bull and Otis Spunkmeyer muffin (and college students wonder why their weight balloons).

RC: You have beautiful eyes. *cheesy grin*
Me: Um, thanks.
Me (turning to my co-worker after the RC left): Um, that was weird.
CW: Well, you do have pretty eyes (he's gay, thus I actually believe him).
Me: What the hell color are they?
CW: A really pretty green.
Me: Huh.

Case #3: December 2004. Location: Sex buddy's bed. Persons: myself, SB. Scenario: We were in bed, and I realized we'd been fooling around for several weeks and I had no idea what color his eyes were.

Me: What color are your eyes?
SB: Are you fucking kidding me? How do you not know that?
Me: Um. *Notices they're bright blue*
SB: My last name is German. I have blonde hair. You should've been able to deduce that one without even looking.
Me: Oh, like you know what color mine are.
SB: Green.
Me: Shit.

Case #4: Anytime in recent memory. Location: Any picture taken of me where you can see my eyes in enough detail to notice color. Scenario: Anything from taking shots to showing off rope burns (see Tom's bungee bull away message).

My eyes: bright green. Every time.

So, I now have to adapt my self-description to something along the lines of "Female, 5'4", slender, dark blonde hair, green eyes, crooked smile".

However, this is quite beneficial on March 17. I AM wearing green, but it's certainly not visible to anyone at work. Overzealous co-worker trolls around the area looking for someone to peg for not wearing green. Sees me.

"Aha! It's St. Patrick's Day! You're not wearing green!"

"Yes I am."

"Where?"

"I'm always wearing green."

"Huh? Do you have a tattoo or something?"

"No. I have green eyes."

"Dammit!"

Hee.

I know this lady with eyes as green as can be
And she will sit and stare directly at me
And her laugh will take me to my future
Throughout my past, there ain't shit left for me.

1 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Blogger Tom said...

well, that works out, I was all worried about what away message to put up tonight.

also, who of your readers have my sn? me, you, john? anyway, nice to have a mention. :)

-Tom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home