Monday, December 26, 2005

Driving along in my automobile.

My car, which I love dearly (and had better love dearly considering the check that I write each month to pay for it), was due for a routine oil change. The Honda dealership that I purchased it from was running a special, so I took it in to get that taken care of and my left front tire patched (slow leak).

The plan was to do that and then run to the mall for a pair of jeans.

They finished the tire patch and oil change pretty quickly, and I drove off towards the mall. It's exceptionally hot today in Dallas for December, so I turned on the a/c and waited for the car to cool down.

And waited.

And waited.

And then noticed that there was a loud rattling going on when the a/c was turned on, and that it was to the point that I could feel it via my foot on the accelerator.

I did a U-turn and headed back to the dealership to turn my car back in, thinking that perhaps I'd kicked a rock up into the system or something small like that. They said that they'd get to it as soon as they could, and they'd call me before they made any repairs.

By 5:00, I hadn't heard anything, so I called them.

Uh, yeah.

They have to replace my entire a/c system. Apparently, the compressor locked up and then contaminated the system. That's an estimated $1,600 repair. Holy shit. Luckily, they have all of the parts in, so they can repair it tomorrow.

Even more luckily, when I purchased my car in May, I purchased the Honda Care plan--which basically extends my warranty to 5 yr bumper-to-bumper for a mere $12/month.

I paid for that warranty something like three times over today with this a/c incident.

And for the record, I am the only person that I know who needs an a/c repair in DECEMBER.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home